Residential requirement 

You meet the residential requirement for benefits if you are:

  • A NZ citizen or have a residence class visa; AND
    • are ordinarily resident in NZ at time of application;  AND
    • have resided in NZ for a period of 2 years since becoming citizens or resident
  • OR are considered a refugee or protected person under the Immigration Act

In the nature of marriage 

Your relationship might be considered “in the nature of marriage” if you are:

  • Married
  • In a civil union
  • In a de facto relationship (you live together as a couple, but are not married or in a civil union) 

It’s possible that you might be married or in a civil union but considered “single” by The Ministry of Social Development (MSD). You and your partner are considered “in a relationship” when you have an “an emotional commitment for the foreseeable future” and “financial interdependence”. 

Social housing 

Social housing properties are provided by Kāinga Ora (used to be Housing New Zealand) and approved community housing providers.

Income limits

When a benefit or payment has an income limit, it means that the amount you earn will impact if you can get the payment, and how much you can get. The income could come from a job, or any other regular payment that you receive (for example, dividends or rent from an investment property). The amount you can earn depends on how many people are in your household. 

Asset limits

An asset limit means that any assets you have will impact if you can get a payment, and how much you can get. 

Assets include:

  • Savings
  • Bonds
  • Money lent to people or organisations
  • Property you don’t live in
  • Boats
  • Cars